Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Being scared

     



     I am a sucker for a good quote. I recently read this one from Chris Guillebeau.


"That's the promise: you will live more curiously if you write. You will become a scientist, if not of the natural world than of whatever world you care about. More of that world will pop alive. You will see more when you look at it. Writing needn't be a formal enterprise to have this effect. You don't have to write well. You don't even have to "write" exactly - you can just talk onto the page."


     I have two journals going at the moment and plan on copying this into both. I love the idea of talking onto the page. It makes writing seem so much less formal and like anyone can do it. So if anyone can do it it certainly means I can do it. Writing scares me but if I don't write then my brain just fills up to the point where all I hear is the incessant chatter and I can't sleep at night. For the most part I've only ever written down thoughts that had to do with life or my feelings about something. 

     Only once have I written down the stories that play in my head. I think up the equivalent of a 3 hour action movie in my head all the time. I play out different scenes, change the characters, scout locations all in my head. I often wonder if I would be any good at writing them all out. I tried out NaNoWriMo last year but didn't get very far. I don't have the writing skills at this time to make things flow. It's all very chunky and pieced together. I know that if I write more this will get easier but yet.........I don't. 

     I will hit this great big wall of China type resistance and nothing happens. I suddenly think all my story ideas or dumb or have been done before. I think I need to type it all out because it's faster then hand writing it but then never take the time to do either. I am full of excuses and I know that's all they are. It's funny what you can talk yourself into or out of if you try hard enough. Might be time I focus all the energy on making things happen. 

   What do you find yourself resisting?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of work to make excuses and talk yourself out of thingsversus letting them be by flowing naturally onto the pages. As for chunks and scattered pieces, that's the beauty of the concept of editing. :-) Let it flow <3

    ReplyDelete